Tuesday 10 February 2015

Wind & Waves

One of the best visualisations I have come across in a long time is available here. What started out as a wind map of Japan is now a browsable globe showing wind, current and wave information anywhere on the earth (from computer models, real time in-situ measurements and some RS I think).




If there isn't any storms moving in on us to grab your attention -  have a look at the wind when

A) it hits any large mountain ranges,
B) the doldrums
C) the trade winds
D) wind at altitude

They have recently added information on waves too - "wave height" and "wave period". Fire those ones up and have a look at the rollers moving in.



Great visualisation - but not to be opened if any deadlines are looming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.