Tuesday 3 February 2015

Google Earth Pro

GoogleEarth is a popular tool that I am sure most of you are familiar with. I can remember the first time I saw a similar software package in a RS module in 2003 (i think it was Worldwind and I think it used Landsat imagery) and I loved it - I'm a sucker for a good digital visualisation of anything or a 3D model, or a browsable globe. Back then you couldn't easily get free aerial imagery, but now GoogleEarth uses such hi-resolution imagery that you can even count the pedestrians in the streets.

The free version of GoogleEarth was missing quite a few tools (the one I always missed was the area tool) but now Google are letting people download and use the Pro version for free. If you fancy making your own 3D building models now's your chance.

Grab it here.

Two hints for GE - 'R' resets tilt and zoom, a handy quick key to remember, and if you hate tilt and zoom like I do, it can be turned off in the options!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.