Tuesday 17 February 2015

Notepad ++ - 'Find in Files'

Not quite as impressive as a satellite image of a storm in the Atlantic, but a great package that I keep finding out more and more about.


At first I thought Notepad ++ was just a fancy (but free!) version of notepad that I might use occasionally. I liked the colour scheme it auto-applied to code and I also liked the tabs option at the top so I could flick between files quickly. I found out about the compare text add-on package you could install and it's stock rose a couple of points. This is very useful for identifying changes from Latex word docs if you are collaborating on a paper or just trying to find out what has changed between two pieces of code. 

But someone showed me something very cool with it last night that might help you sometime. Say you have loads of word docs, csvs, txt files, xml files and there is one word you want to change in them all - say you made a mistake and "Map #3010" should be 'Map #3011'.

The 'find in files' command can do this for every file in a folder in one go.



It lets you:

1. Search and find every doc/spreadsheet etc that has that word in it
2. 'replace all' like you would do in a single word doc.

Very useful... I'm sure there is plenty more hidden in Notepad ++, I'll have to start paying more attention to it.

Disclaimer: Anyone who 'replaces all' destroying years of work or substituting a rude word throughout their document  don't blame me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.