Sunday 16 September 2018

Drones and Motorway Mapping

I see Korec have won a contract with Transport Infrastructure Ireland to provide 2 drones and also map the motorways. The statistic that one drone can cover as much ground in an hour flight as a survey team does in 14 days is very impressive, although I wonder is that an area based measurement - whereas a road is a route corridor? Drones are limited by LOS still, and basic restrictions are 300m. Unless the operator will drive along underneath? Interesting all the same. Having worked on QBN surveys back in the boom I think the most survey points I captured in one day was around 2200 - and that was a busy busy day, so not hard to see how drones will speed things up, if not get the same level of accuracy. 

Poor Mobile Mapping Systems - they were just too expensive to catch on over here, drones are a fraction of the cost. I know Korec haver access to one of the Trimble ones - they brought it in for the IEOS in 2014.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.