Thursday 18 May 2017

Gorse Fires - Basic Payments Scheme

I see from The Journal that satellite imagery is being used to identify gorse burning with an eye to docking farmers through the basic payment scheme. I can certainly see how they could use it to quickly find the burning gorse using both optical (look for the fires / thermal signatures) or SAR (look for changes in backscatter following the burning) but I do not see how they can prove it was intentional using satellite imagery. I'll be following that one and may see something that the SCSI Rural group would be interested in. Additionally, the COPERNICUS emergency management service doesn't seem to have been activated - so that means the hi-res imagery wont be available free of charge for the period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.