Sunday 13 November 2016

Spatial Data and Ordnance Survey Ireland

Two major announcements from OSi of late, depending on your age/interests I'm not sure which you will find the most impressive!!

1. 5 Star Linked Data - The ERC application that I submitted recently leverages 5 Star Linked data in a big way for data sharing, so it is great to see that the Ireland's first 5 star datasets were released by OSI and the Dept of Public Expenditure and Reform. Now available on data.gov.ie. Linked open data will revolutionise how we share spatial data, linking data in a conceptual and semantic way online. I am really excited to see where this goes.


2. Minecraft - in a big plus for anyone involved in public engagement or demonstrating the many uses of maps and spatial data, large portions of Ireland have been taken from PRIME2 (OSi's spatial data storage model) and converted into Minecraft format. They have dublin city, killarney lakes, Limerick city and others.

Carrauntoohil

1 comment:

  1. Lots more linked data work planned for 2017 too. Thanks for the mention Conor.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.