Friday 5 February 2016

Hyperion

There are some really great, free data resources out there. A few months back I noticed when searching for free Hyperspectral imagery that there were a number of strips available for Munster and into Leinster.



After a bit more searching I found that the USGS and NASA were allowing members of the public to request Hyperion taskings for free. Not just free data as they are collecting it anyway - but specify an area you are interested in and they will task the satellite to capture data of that area. Years of Landsat data made available for free, GPS for free, Hyperion tasking for free - well done America. 

"The USGS, in partnership with NASA, is providing a mechanism for the general public to specify location and timeframe for future acquisitions of data from the EO-1 satellite. There will be no charge for these tasking requests and they will be satisfied on a best effort basis as capacity is potentially available from EO-1."

This dataset came up again in conversation recently so I decided to request some of my own for a project. i have requested Dublin bay, Kinvarra bay and Mulroy bay. I do not know if the more requests you have the less chance of getting it but I think I might put one in for Tralee bay too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.