Friday 14 August 2015

Flight mode

We have recently acquired a 3DR Solo - a 'use out of the box' class of UAV. It is very stable and manoeuvrable. Additionally, you just need to attach your phone to the controller and it becomes your video display for piloting the platform so that cuts down on hardware costs.


I heard a funny story today from someone who had been piloting a similar UAV at the max line-of-sight range and therefore completely reliant on this video link, when suddenly their wife rings in and the video link switches to the 'incoming call' screen. One to watch out for....

Setting the phone to 'flight mode' would solve the problem but that is definitely not the 'flight mode' they had in mind when building those features into phones!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.