Tuesday 23 June 2015

Sentinel 2a in orbit

About a year and a half ago I stayed up to watch the launch of Sentinel 1a and make sure it made it safely into orbit (not as if I could influence that much). I have just received an email from GIM International informing that Sentinel 2a has stolen a march on me as I thought the launch was not until tomorrow.



So while I was up watching the first episode of the new series of 'True Detective', Sentinel 2a was entering sun-synchronous orbit without my help. Unlike Sentinel 1a, Sentinel 2a is an optical multispectral satellite and will be very useful in the coming years with a MS resolution comparable with SPOT 4 and 5 (10metres).  Up until now the highest spatial resolution, free MS imagery that you could get without applying for it was the 30m bands on the Landsat series.

Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.