Tuesday 7 April 2015

3D Printing Moves a Step Closer to Becoming Reality!

I noticed a sign offering 3D printing as I was browsing in Maynooth University library earlier! Combined with the shipwreck database from GSI there is a very real possibility of having my own 3D printed shipwreck surface model like the one in my last post.





There are lots to choose from around the Irish coast. There is an excellent one of a WW1 UBoat but I think the Lusitania has to win if it is possible....I have emailed the 3D printing team in the library to see if the models are all one colour or can different 'ink' colours be used. That will allow me to colour it by elevation like in the previous post. The surface model will have to be converted to a  Stereo Lithography (STL) format but I have found a few webpages giving instructions for that.

Watch this space...




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.