Sunday 1 March 2015

Build your own

You'd be surprised how much more, 'bang for your buck' you get if you build a computer yourself. If you have a limited budget you are throwing it away getting a, 'pre-built' unless you have a good company discount. But by devoting some time to picking the components online and building it yourself, you can get exactly what you want, making your money stretch further. I built my first PC with one of the first DX10 GPUs in 2007 - I got 8 years out of it and it is still running well. If any parts sit down you aren't limited to the few options that your supplier stocks. The GPU in that first build sat down in 2011 so I just picked a new one and replaced it. I put my second build together last month and it is a serious piece of hardware. This build is also the first time I have used an SSD (boots like lightning). By building it myself I was able to get the next generation CPU and GPU for the same price as the commercial system which had the previous types.

If you take proper anti-static precautions or buy yourself one of these you should be fine.


There are plenty of forums out there if you are unsure of what components are compatible and also plenty of online guides to get you through a build.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.