Saturday 27 October 2018

Geo for Good

One of my research goals is to start identifying opportunities for satellite, GIS, data science to help with humanitarian or environmental issues. Examples like Satellite Sentinel, Global Fisheries Watch, the stuff I posted on the flooded island the Rohingya were being moved to, or the BBC Africa use of spatial and social data to track down three war criminals have got me thinking.

I came across a great example in National Geographic recently Surveyors visiting remote tribes and helping them to define and demarcate their land and resources using maps - security of tenure and all that - one I remember from Land Management modules at undergrad. This is going to be even more important in a future of reduced resources and climate hazards.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.