Wednesday 14 March 2018

Clouds in Google Earth

I just looked at the new Google Earth in my browser - I don't have the desktop version installed ion the DIT PC yet. Your first view is a beautiful 'blue marble' / globe that reminds me of the old Civilisation games.

As I zoomed back out hoping to enjoy the view of the whole hemisphere with Ireland at the centre point, a pile of cloud appeared over the country and most of Western Europe. "What a pain", I thought but also admitted it was quite realistic as it is lashing down outside (the second years spent the day down the minesin Tara, a perfect day for it - warm and dry) and it occurred to me that it just might be a real time feed? So I checked it against the Met Eireann full-disk satellite feed and lo and behold it matched that shape exactly. So real time cloud maps are available by default in Google Earth - impressive.



Google Earth
Met Eireann
Note the matching fishhook shape over Ireland and the arc further to the north. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.