Monday 11 January 2016

New RPAS Rules, Acquisitions and People Carriers!

Happy New Year - I am a bit late getting started blogging in 2016 due to a house-move but will try to make up for it in the next three weeks.

New RPAS rules came in just before christmas, including compulsory registration for 1kg+  systems and also a reduced max operating distance from the pilot. I suppose this was partly in anticipation of the Christmas deluge of drones that people might get as a present (remember, a Drone is not just for christmas!) and having seen a number of large drones for sale in Eurosaver then this is probably a good idea. It will be interesting to see how many are registered and track the growth of the industry over the coming years.

Another piece of interesting drone info was the recent acquisition of Asctec by Intel. Asctec make the Falcon 8, and being the first UAV we operated at the NCG (and still going strong) I have a soft spot for it. Interestingly, a few months ago, TOPCON partnered with Asctec, so I am not sure if that is finished, or if the three are all combined in this project. We can wait and see. One thing I am sure of is that I do not like the yellow version of the Falcon and hope they go back to the original white.


And finally,

A new human carrying drone capable of carrying a human at 100kph has been announced  and although it sounds like a helicopter (if it is 'manned' how can it be a UAV?) the pilot is really just a passenger so it definitely counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
My name is Conor. I am a Lecturer at the Department of Geography at Maynooth University. These few lines will (hopefully) chart my progress through academia and the world of research.